Photobucket

Thursday, October 29, 2009

I want to be a runner too!

I want to be a runner. I never really been great at running but I want to change that now. I want to be one of those people who wakes up early before work and just goes out and runs like 5 miles...just because they can. I'm jealous I'll admit it. I want that freedom where my body (my mind) doesn't stop me. I am very impressed by runners. Therefore, I want to be one! When I go to the gym I usually pick the elliptical over the treadmill. But now I'm addicted to the challenge of running...trying to be faster or go further than I have. I don't try both at once though. I can run for two miles without stopping at treadmill speed of 5...which is about 24 minutes. This is great because before two weeks ago I don't think I've ever even tried to run two miles. I would like to try a 5k. There is one on December 5th that I am tempted to sign up for. That's more than a month away. I am nervous because I don't know if I will really be ready for it. At the same time all I need to do is add another mile and some change to my current run and I'll be there....at the same time that seems like a lot and nothing. There's also one in January that I am more leaning toward signing up for just because it's further away. Is there anyone out there reading this that has any advice on how to prepare for a 5k? Or that went from being a non-runner to a runner?

4 comments:

  1. I am doing the Couch to 5K program right now....but it seems that you are already running a good bit so that probably wouldn't be worth it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! :)

    Try the C25k training! It's amazing and very helpful!

    Once you've done a 5k you'll be addicted!! So GO AHEAD and sign up for one!! :)

    & good for you for the treadmil! I HATE the treadmil! I ALWAYS choose eliptical! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am running my first 5k this weekend! I was jealous when I always saw all these people running ! I did the Couch to 5k program too and it really works. Now that I can say, "I ran 4 miles before work this morning," I get really excited! You can do it! I started training in August for the one Saturday, but I could have done it a while back. A little over a month is enough time to get ready! The trick is to get some good shoes! (I recently got the Nike Lunarglides and LOVE them!) Good luck and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sign up for the earlier one -- it gives extra motivation and you can always take your time if you're not 100% ready! There is no shame in walking in a 5K if you need to!

    ReplyDelete