Monday, April 5, 2010

NYC Trip

Day 1 - Saturday
My mom and I arrived at Penn Station on Saturday afternoon. The weather was beautiful. Our hotel wasn't far from the station so we walked there and checked in early. Then we headed back out to enjoy the day. First we went to the subway, bought our unlimited ride passes and hopped on to get to the Staten Island Ferry. The ferry ride was fun I was able to snap some pretty good pictures. After that we went by the Charging Bull Statue on Wall Street. It was packed with tourists both times! By the time we made it to the 9/11 memorial office it was just closing. But I was able to see how they are rebuilding. So amazing.

Day 2 - Sunday
My Aunt and cousin  were scheduled to fly in around noon and make it to the hotel by 1pm. My mom and I figured we could go to the American Museum of Natural History in the morning grab lunch and be able to meet them when they arrive ar the hotel. Walking to the subway my mom tripped and fell. This was no gracefull fall. Lots of people offered to call us an ambulance. She declined everytime. One lady told us we should sue.

We went back the the hotel and put ice on her knee and wrist. She decided we should go to the ER just in case. So off we went to hail a taxi. Saint Vincent's was the closest hospital to the hotel. It was pretty much amazing. They has us admitted much faster than any military hospital I've been to. My mom got  an ace bandage for her wrist and this huge monster of a brace for her knee. Oh, and a cane. We made it back to the hotel just in time to meet my aunt and cousin.

The four of us went out to lunch and then headed over to NYC's version of Walgreens. I went downstairs to find some Mortin while everyone else looked for snacks. Not even a minute after I left my mom, my cousin comes running down saying my mom fell AGAIN! (OH MY GOSH!)

{{You should know this doesn't happen all the time. While my mom is clumsy she is often up right and not flat on the ground multiple times a day.}}

We did not go back to the hospital. We did go back to the hotel. We did get a handicap room for her. We did make sure she was fine in bed and went back out. What we did out in town I have no memory of.

Day 3 - Monday
The lovely lady we worked with yesterday at the ER called me and told me that they revealuated my mom's x-ray's and there is a chip in her wrist so she has to come back to get a brace/cast. Oh funny you should call lovely lady because it just so happens she fell again after we left the ER. 

My aunt and cousin go to Soho or something like that and my mom and I get back in a cab and go to the ER. At this point my aunt and I agree that my mom cannot take the train back as planned with me. I am on the phone with E trying to find cheap flights. And talking to my mom's best friend to make sure she can pick her up from the airport. Finally, we get all of it arranged.

Day 4 - Tuesday
My aunt and I went running in central the pouring down rain. It was fabulous. no one was out there. That is the best memory I have from the trip. Determined to get out of the hotel my mom and I tried again to go to the Natural History Museum. This time we take a cab. It was pretty close to terrible. The museum has wheel chairs. But is not really wheel chair friendly. It was packed and there are only a couple of elevators that everyone was using.

I went shopping that evening with my aunt and cousin. I got a really cute pair of jeans from H&M. and saw Time Square all light up.
The Cousin and I in Time Square

Day 5 - Wednesday
My mom was scheduled to leave for the airport at 9:30am. We scheduled a car to come pick her up. Turned out to be a limo. My train didn't leave till 3:30pm.

Off we went to 5th avenue.

We stopped by Kleinfeld Bridal's shop on the way back to the hotel. My cousin just loves the show Say Yes To The Dress. There weren't many people around so we went in thinking we might be able to look around even though we didn't have a dress appointment. They are closed on Wednesday's. But Joan from the TV Show was there and showed us around the entire store! It was very cool. And my little cousin was beyond excited.

The trip was crazy. Living at my parents house with my broken mom has been crazy. I never thought I say this but I really wish I was back in Pensacola. :) hahaha who am I kidding I really just with my husband was here.

**The only pictures I have are the one's I stole from her facebook. I download all my pictures to my laptop, and then it erases all the pictures off my camera. The laptop then died. I am way out of my element here not being about to get online whenever I want!


  1. Oh My Goodness! I hope your mom is doing better!

    And I am so so so so SO jealous about your trip to Klienfelds. I really want to take a road trip there when it comes time to begin my dress hunt

  2. Oh, NO! I can't believe that happened! The Kleinfelds thing sounds great!

  3. Wowee wow wow! That sounds like a crazy trip. I hope your Mom is feeling better soon!!

  4. I love NYC!! glad you had fun and hope you mom is doing better :)

  5. Wow sounds like a crazy trip! I hope your mom is doing better.

    NYC photos are always so beautiful, I'd love to visit there some day.

  6. What a crazy trip! Hope your mom gets better soon! And I miss NYC - I love that city! :)

  7. I'm glad you had a fun, crazy trip....apart from your mom's falls.